We are already back home but I figure I should add posts covering our last two days.
Monday, June 10:
Leaving Ashwood we had a really tough climb. The canyon it was in was pretty hot already despite us getting an early start.
Hot, steep climb:
Near the top the climbed transitioned to rolling hills. We had our only minor bike issue in the section. My rear tire kept going soft. I initially kept just re-inflatating it every mile or so but that got old real quick and I finally decided to deal with it properly. Its always kind of unnerving tearing things apart far from a town, so I tend to put it off if I can. The issue was that the tubeless sealant had dried out and pressure was leaking from around the valve. I ended up just throwing in a spare tube and we were moving again in about 10 minutes.
Kaden waiting for me to complete my repair:
About 20 miles into the day we reached the tiny town of Antelope and another wonderful bicyclist rest area:
Antelope has a bit of weird history. Back in the 80s a cult called the Rajneeshpuram took over the town. There is a Netflix documentary about it called Wild Wild County.
After spending an hour or so at the bike rest stop we had another long, steep climb. This one was a bit easier though since it was paved.
View from the top, looking back toward Antelope:
About 20 miles of rolling hills to the ghost town of Shaniko followed. After a meal at the cafe and spending some time hunting around for the best option for the night we ended up camping at the RV park.
Approaching Shaniko:
Campsite for the night:








No comments:
Post a Comment